Sunday, May 13, 2007

Saturday Night

This made me happy. Hot Dog, french fries, hamburger sauce.

Let me start off by saying we didn't leave the hotel till I think it was close to 5pm on Saturday. We did venture downstairs to the Hotel restaurant, I of course had Meatballs and Brown Sauce, yum, but it wasn't till later in the day that we decided to venture out about town. We headed to the falafel shop again, so good, and then took the tram to Grunerlokka, about 10 minutes, if that from our hotel. We were on a mission to find me some coffee. We found a place, took a seat outside and waited a few minutes. It was a bit on the cold side and we weren't sure how to get served there, so we decided to stop in a Deli de Luca. They are everywhere. They are like a little sandwhich shop/mini mart/am pm kind of place. By this time it was around 6pm, I had not had any coffee and the set up for getting coffee is not what I am used to. You know those Cappucino machines in 7-11's, the one's that offer things like Hot Chocolate, Buttered Toffee Coffee and Mochas, well it's like that but fancy! They had bottles of chocolate and white chocolate that you can pump into your cup, they had tons of flavored syrups to choose from and the machine itself offers cappuchino, espresso and even steam! I am sure this is just the norm for the locals but I thought it was quite cool. After some help from Jeremy I had my coffee and we headed back to the hotel.
I am not sure if I can put into words what a Saturday night in Oslo is like. I can tell you that Arizona is BORING BORING BORING and BLAND BLAH BLAND compared to this city. We head down Karl Johans Gata on our way to a bar called Elm Street, a supposed metal bar in Oslo. There were people everywhere! Hipster, teen agers, eldery couples, drunk people, happy people, there was laughter and good things going on all around us. We walked into Elm Street and turned right back around when we decided it looked like a retirement party crowd instead of a metal bar crowd. So we set off to the Rock In. This place was dark and pretty crowded but Jeremy was in heaven...Norwegian dudes with long hair that love metal music, what more could you ask for. We had one drink there and decided after last night that we would take it easy. We stopped for a Hot Dog and some Pommes Frites, so cheap but soooo good! I swear, I could live on the food stand Hot Dogs. We wandered back up Karl Johans and sat down in this little section of benches and some statues in front of the parliment building and just people watched. Everywhere you looked there were people, coming and going and some were stumbling. I realized I am officially obsessed with the Norwegian girls and their style. These girls are so effortlessly cool. I don't think even the trendiest of young girls in Arizona can look the way these girls do. At one point Jeremy and I could not take our eyes off of a group of girls, all friends, all together walking down the street, everyone of them was beautiful, everyone of them dressed fantastically. It's unreal...we saw 2 contstruction workers earlier that day and we laughed because they looked like Abercrombie and Fitch models. I am not exagerating, the people here are gorgeous. We can't understand what makes a city like this, or what makes the people the way they are. In Scottsdale, on a Saturday night, you may see some people walking around, but they are mostly walking from there car to the bar that they will stay in all night. Here, people seem to not stay in one place too long, and I guess they have more choices here and the choices are closer together. In every city we travel to outside of AZ it's like this, lots of choices and a lot more pedestrian traffic. I want that. Oh well. At 1:30 we called it a night, although the people out on the streets we not quite ready for that...we heard people till 3:30-4am at the neighboring bars around our hotel. These kids know how to have a good time. : )

1 comment:

Twins & Co. said...

I am loving reading all about your trip! I didn't even know you had a blog!!! I miss you....looks like you guys are having a blast!