Friday, May 18, 2007

Holmenkollen Day

Holmenkollen behind us!

A view of the ski jump looking down from the top

A view of Oslo from the top of the ski jump

Jeremy at Holmenkollen Ski Jump

Me in front of Holmenkollen Ski Jump


Me contemplating the leap up!

After the hoist!

Jeremy nestled in with the Trolls.

Me with a Stave Church

Climbing back down the steps in Holmenkollen

Pretty Flowers!

Dinner at Vidar's

After some beers at Vidar's

On Wednesday we traveled about 20 minutes away from our hotel to see the Holmenkollen Ski Jump where they held the Winter Olympic games in 1952. You can see the ski jump from all over the city and it is quite a site to see. They have a museum at the base of the jump and once you reach the end of the exhibit you stop at an elevator. This elevator takes you about 3/4 of the way up and then you must climb steep steps the rest of the way to the top. Once at the top you get another spectacular view of Oslo. You could feel the ski jump sway a bit every time a gust of wind came too, scary...and it didn't help my case of vertigo that i have been dealing with this entire trip. (That is a story in itself) Once we were done at the jump we did something that I love to do in Oslo...wander around...we took a left and found another old church and then walked across a street to this hilarious Troll statue! It's huge and sits across the way from the ski jump, the two trolls watch the ski jump from the forrest, so cute, so Norwegian! I wanted to jump up on the statue to take a picture but it was too high and too smooth so there was no traction for my shoes. Jeremy had to hoist me up and half way up I thought I would slide right off into the rocks, but I managed to do it! We had a dinner date with Vidar at 6:30 so we hopped on the tram back to our hotel with a quick detour to the National Gallery where we saw Edvard Munch's 'The Scream' and other amazing paintings! We did the usual, back to the hotel for a nap, woke up late, got to Vidar's house around 7pm and settled in for the evening. Vidar made us Bacalao! It was fantastic! We will defintitely be making that for dinner soon. Vidar's 15 year old daughter Vilde was with us through dinner. She was adorable. She had tons of great stories about the graduating students called "Russ" and teenage life in Oslo. Once dinner was over Vidar played DJ and put on record after record of groovy old 60's rock/garage bands! We stayed until 2 a.m. it was perfect. We took a cab back to the hotel and then grabbed some kebab at a super busy kebab shop up the street. Ate, saw that the sun was starting to creep up and decided to hit the hay.

P.s. I am really homesick for Espen... : (

3 comments:

Mr. Walden said...

I bet you are and miss him terribly! You guys have done so much! Sounds like so much fun! I can relate to you conquering your fears on this trip, it seems that trips to other countries test your stamina and willpower, along with seeing beatiful sites and experiencing different cultures! I felt like that in Australia, it was the trip that made me do everything I had been afraid to do for years! Congrats for conquering your fears!

Unknown said...

I bet the casual, wandering times will be the ones you most remember. How fun...though I'm glad you got to a museum to see the Scream! Only 2 more days and you'll be holding the little guy again (and you'll have lots of story-time adventures to tell him).

jenny block said...

seester-i must here more about that vertigo you're experiencing. I totally had it in London. Must be a Battaglia thing. AHHHHHH!!! You saw the scream! How Cool. Just seeing it makes your trip complete. Before your trip that's the only cool thing I knew about Norway. I knew nothing of it's beauty or culture. Thanks for sharing it with us.Espen told me he loves you and wanted me to remind you to buy him that funny hat if you can find it!