Monday, May 21, 2007

Rest and Relaxation

We spent the majority of the last 2 days in Oslo relaxing at the hotel, watching Dawsons Creek and Norwegian News programs. We did take a long walk to visit the Munch Museum. We saw a rad exhibit on Egon Schiele. If you have not heard of him look him up. And if you think he looks like Matt Hibbard you are not alone. Jeremy and I thought he could be Matt's twin. When we were done with the Munch Museum we were pretty hungry but did not want to pay museum prices for food. On our way up to find the museum we walked by store after store that sold Kebab so we figured we would head towards the record store that Jeremy wanted to go to and find something on the way. That did not happen. We did not see a single place to eat. So we passed the record store, turned the corner and walked another block or 2. Finally on either side of the street there was a tiny grocery type store that had take out kebab or there was a sit down place on the other side. It was raining at the time so we decided to head into the sit down restaurant. Okay, fish out of water does not even begin to describe how I felt in this restaurant. There were at least 40 people in there...all men, all muslims. I was THE only girl in their and when I first walked in you could hear the change in their voices. I even asked Jeremy if he thought I was allowed in there. In the end the service was great, the food was fantastic and the men there minded there business, they were too busy enjoying their cappuccinos to care about some tourists. After lunch we headed back to the record store, thumbing through metal records is not really my thing, I know, shocking, so I grabbed our little map of Oslo from Jeremy and attempted to get back to the Hotel on my own. Off I went, I took a left on Jens Bjelkes and then a right on Trondheimsvein till I found the bus stop I thought I was looking for. I felt confident that I knew what I was doing till I decided to check with this model chick who spoke only a bit of English. She confused me so I left the bus station and took a right at the next street I came to, Thorvald Meyers Gate and saw a tiny tram stop. I knew we had taken the 11 tram before and it was the next up at that stop so, without paying, I jumped on, crossed my fingers and headed down the street. After passing a few streets that I couldn't pronounce to save my life I saw the stop at Brugata. That name rang a bell and I was starting to feel bad about not paying so I jumped off and decided to hoof it the rest of the way. Oslo seems like a big city but really you can walk anywhere in what seems like less than 30 minutes. Things started to look familar again, I found my way home!
After a nap at the hotel, jeremy was back and we headed out to Vidar's again. We spent the rest of the evening there drinking some beers, eating all of his Chilinotter (DELISH!!) took a break and ran to Narvesen for Hot Dogs and then back to Vidar's. We called it a night around 12:30, jumped on the sub, got off a stop early so that we could walk the rest of the way and people watch, then off to bed.

No comments: